Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Waffles!

I'm finally back online. Both, yes both, our computers broke in the same week. (So did our camera!) I was reduced to accessing my e-mail on the Wii, which was pretty frustrating. But we're all fine now!





It has come to my attention that my kids don't have healthy breakfasts. In my sleep deprived fog I tend to either pop some Eggos into the toaster or pour a bowl of that weeks sugary cereal. It's no wonder that the kids are screaming for food all day long. So in an effort to be a better mother I have resolved to have healthier morning meals. Not an easy feat with my picky eaters. I thought I could make waffles in bulk to put in the freezer, then I can still just pop them in the toaster when I'm not thinking clearly (or happily). So today I made dairy and soy free waffles!



I found this recipe (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Waffles-II/Detail.aspx) but I tweaked it a bit and I have to admit that the results were delicious! (Much to my surprise. I'm not very good at "tweaking".)

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup wheat flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 cups soy free rice milk (be sure to check, many rice milks have soy lecithin!)
6 Tablespoons Earth Balance dairy and soy free "butter" (You can use canola oil if you can't get the butter in your area.)
2 eggs separated

Preheat your waffle iron. Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Stir in milk, butter, and egg yolks. In another bowl beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks, then gently fold them into your batter.

Make sure you oil the waffle iron well or you'll end up scraping waffle off it for 30 minutes. (Ask me how I know.) I used canola oil and a pastry brush since all of the baking sprays I have found contain soy.

These turned out really tasty and are in the freezer now. Unfortunately they are too big for my toaster and we don't own a microwave, so I'll have to try heating them up in the oven. Maybe that will be more trouble than just mixing up the batter, but I have to try anyway!!

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget Van's Foods offers all-natural gluten-free waffles, most products are also free of dairy and egg. We're working on taking soy lecithin out of the ingredient list.

    ReplyDelete