Saturday, August 1, 2009

Take me home country roads.

We went to a birthday party about 30 minutes northwest of where we live today. As we drove through the mountains and valleys I struggled to keep my eyes on the road instead of staring at the scenery. It was beautiful. The trees alternated between looking like stalks of broccoli to looking like a comfy blanket draped over a sleeping giant. It was so green and clear. I love living here.

I moved to the valley from Northern VA during the summer between 4th and 5th grade. I hated it! There was nothing to do but sit on porch swings, no one had air conditioning, there were no neighborhood kids to play with, and the air smelt faintly of manure. I couldn't understand why anyone would want to live there! Now I visit my mother in Northern VA and I couldn't imagine living there. Too many people live there, and not enough trees.

I love living here, but I do have my limits on how country I can be. Some part of me wants desperately to live on a farm where there are acres and acres of empty land. I know it wouldn't work out though. A few months ago we moved from a house in the woods about 30 minutes from the nearest grocery store. That was way too far for me! The thought of having to schlep all 3 (there were only three then) kids an hour round trip to pick up a few groceries would sometimes bring me to tears. (I was pregnant too. Tears were a normal occurance!) So I prefer the beauty of the country with the convenience of the city. Thank goodness I found it!

No comments:

Post a Comment